Consistent with the Mission of the District, the Governance Committee (GC) assists the Board to improve its functioning, structure, and infrastructure, while the Board serves as the steward of the District. The Board serves as the representative of the residents of the SVHCD by protecting and enhancing their investment in the SVH in ways that improve the health of the community collectively and individually. The Board formulates policies, makes decisions, and engages in oversight regarding matters dealing with ends, CEO performance, quality of care, and finances. The Board must ensure that it possesses the necessary capacities, competencies, structure, systems, and resources to fulfill these responsibilities and executive these roles. In this regard, it is the Board’s duty to ensure that:
- Its configuration is appropriate;
- Necessary evaluation and development processes are in place;
- Its meetings are conducted in a productive manner;
- Its fiduciary obligations are fulfilled.
The GC shall assist the Board in its responsibility to ensure that the Board functions effectively. To this end the GC shall:
- Formulate policy to convey Board expectations and directives for Board action;
- Make recommendations to the Board among alternative courses of action;
- Provide oversight, monitoring, and assessment of key organizational processes and outcomes.
- Take action on behalf of the Board when prompt action is necessary regarding pending legislation (state or federal) that affects the District/Hospital.
The Board shall use the GC to address these duties and shall refer all matters brought to it by any party regarding Board governance to the GC for review, assessment, and recommended Board action unless that issue is the specific charge of another Board Standing Committee. The GC makes recommendations and reports to the Board. It has no authority to make decisions or take actions on behalf of the District, except for legislative and/or regulatory issues requiring prompt action.
Composition of Standing Committees (03.16.2022)
Chair: Bill Boerum, Board Treasurer
Members: Judith Bjorndal, Board First Vice Chair; Amy O’Gorman Jenkins.
Download Governance Committee Charter (PDF)
Governance Committee Agenda and Minutes
Wednesday, January 18, 2023
Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Thursday, September 29, 2022
Wednesday, July 20, 2022
Wednesday, June 15, 2022
Wednesday, May 18, 2022
Wednesday, April 20, 2022
Wednesday, March 16, 2022
Wednesday, February 16, 2022
Wednesday, January 19, 2022